General Market Analysis & Highest & Best Use
This AQB-approved course will help you apply meaningful market analysis in valuation assignments. It presents the basic concepts and terminology of market analysis and marketability studies, then shows how marketability studies provide vital information for the highest and best use decision. Throughout the course, the emphasis is on conducting a reliable analysis of demand. You’ll gain practice in applying methods for inferred, or trend, analysis to three property types—a suburban residential subdivision, an existing multifamily property, and an office building. Using the tools introduced in the course will help you increase the reliability of your highest and best use analyses and support the conclusions you reach in the three approaches to value.
The course also provides a transitional discussion to prepare you for marketability studies using fundamental demand analysis, which is covered in the Appraisal Institute’s Advanced Market Analysis and Highest & Best Use course.
Delivery Method: Group-Live
- Beginning appraisers seeking general appraiser state certification
- Experienced appraisers who wish to develop and enhance their market analysis skills
- Property tax assessors
- Housing and land use specialists within government agencies
- Review appraisers
- Laptops are NOT REQUIRED.
- A financial calculator is required. The accepted model used in the course is the HP-12C. Note: Cellular phones, tablets, iPads, and other devices that connect to the Internet are NOT permitted during the exam.
- HP-12C calculator user's manual
- You must be familiar with calculator operation when the course begins. Answers to problems in course material are shown using the HP-12C. Do not come to class expecting to be taught how to use a financial calculator.
- Free Review: Using a Financial Calculator; Formulas, Symbols, Math Review, and Sample Problems; and Financial Calculator Practice Exercises
- For additional help with the HP-12C calculator, take our online seminar, Using Your HP-12C Financial Calculator
It is strongly recommended that participants complete General Appraiser Income Approach/Part 1 (or its equivalent) before enrolling in this course.
Participants must sign a waiver at the beginning of the course stating that they have the prerequisites. If they do not, they will not hold the Appraisal Institute responsible and will not expect to receive special attention during the course.
For Further Reading
|•||The Dictionary of Real Estate Appraisal , 6th ed.|
|•||Market Analysis for Real Estate, 2nd ed.|
|•||The Appraisal of Real Estate, 14th ed.|
- Up To 14 days prior to program start date, $30.00 cancellation fee.
- 7 - 13 days prior to program start date, $50.00 cancellation fee.
- Less than 7 days prior to program start date, forfeit of payment.
- Up To 15 days prior to program start date, no transfer fee.
- 7 - 14 days prior to program start date, $25.00 transfer fee.
- Less than 7 days prior to program start date, no transfer allowed.
Program materials can be downloaded by the student.
The North Carolina Chapter Appraisal Institute is not responsible for students' non-refundable airline reservations or other travel costs.
The Chapter reserves the right to cancel, limit, or reschedule the program and to change faculty assignments and facility locations at any time. Prospective students should confirm their registration before making any nonrefundable airline reservations.
If you have a disability and require accommodations, please notify the NC Chapter office, 919-792-8885, at least two weeks in advance and we will arrange for reasonable accommodations.
Program materials can be downloaded by the student.
Materials are only available through DOWNLOAD ONLY.
Please remember to download your materials to a laptop or an electronic device or print them as there will NOT be extras on site.
Please do not forget to bring your materials with you to class!!
A financial calculator. The HP 12C Calculator is preferred.
Registration: 2/21/17: 8 a.m. -- 8:30 a.m.
Class: 2/21-23/17 : 8:30 a.m. -- 5 p.m.; 2/24/17: 8:30 a.m. -- 2 p.m.
Exam: 2/24/17: 2 p.m. -- 5 p.m.
CE Credit Approvals
Appraisal Institute: Attend Only: 150-Gen/175-Res; Attend and Pass Exam: 200-Gen/225-Res; Pass Exam Only: 150-Gen/200-Res
NC Appraisal Board: General Certification Credit (30 hours) or 27 hours of CE
The Appraisal Institute and the AQB require full attendance (100%) at the course If the attendance roster reflects less than 100%, it could/will show up on the roster submission to the states.
Course materials and breaks
Deep River Event Center, 606 Millwood School Road, Greensboro, NC 27409; T 336-542-3797
Fairfield Inn Airport: (Thorndike Rd): T 336-841-0140; The Appraisal Institute group rate is $99++ per night (King or Double). Rate includes complimentary hot breakfast; complimentary shuttle to airport and Deep River Event Center; Free In-room Wi-Fi and more
Holiday Inn Express & Suites: (Regional Rd): T 336-882-0004; The Appraisal Institute group rate is $99++ (Standard). Rate includes complimentary hot breakfast; complimentary shuttle to airport and Deep River Event Center; Free In-room Wi-Fi and more
Comfort Suites: (Thorndike Rd); T 336-882-6666; The North Carolina Appraisal Institute Group rate has been $79++ per night; Includes free Wi-Fi; full hot breakfast; manager's reception; free airport shuttle; has valet and laundry available.
Courtyard by Marriott, GSO Airport Location: T 336-668-1090
Wingate by Wyndham: (formerly Ashford Suites): T 336-812-8787; Appraisal Institute rate was $79++ per night in 2015 and included a hot breakfast bar; Managers Reception – 2 days a week (Tuesday & Wednesday)
|Event Date||06-13-2017 8:00 am|
|Event End Date||06-16-2016 5:00 pm|
|Cut off date||06-01-2017|
|Individual Price||AI Price|
|Location||Deep River Event Center|